Virginia

RSS for Virginia
Mendenhall faces tough rebuilding task

Mendenhall faces tough rebuilding task

Bronco Mendenhall’s track record suggests he will turn around Virginia’s football program soon if not right away. He won 99 games in 11 seasons at BYU without a losing mark.In 2005, Mendenhall inherited a Cougars program with three straight losing seasons. His first team ended...

ECU last team standing from North Carolina

ECU last team standing from North Carolina

East Carolina baseball shares its home state with four schools that are ACC charter members: North Carolina, N.C. State, Duke and Wake Forest.Its neighboring state includes SEC member South Carolina. The Gamecocks won back-to-back College World Series national titles as recently...

Champ Clemson leads six ACC schools as hosts

Champ Clemson leads six ACC schools as hosts

DURHAM, N.C – The ACC battle of attrition, otherwise known as the ACC Baseball Tournament, finally ended with Clemson routing Florida State 18-13 for the title Sunday at Durham Bulls Athletic Park.“Finally” refers to four-plus hours of rain delays as well as 33 runs scored....

ACC tougher than NCAA for defending champions

ACC tougher than NCAA for defending champions

The question put before ACC baseball coaches on the eve of the ACC Baseball Tournament was if their conference tournament could be tougher than the NCAA Tournament.Before you consider that a foolish question, consider recent history. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's...

Virginia on a roll to justify top seed

Virginia on a roll to justify top seed

Ah, so that’s why Virginia earned a No. 1 seed.That’s what most us should be thinking after the Cavaliers advanced to the Elite Eight with a convincing 84-71 win over fourth-seeded Iowa State on Friday night in the Midwest Regional game at the United Center in Chicago....

My roundup of NCAA Raleigh Regional stories

My roundup of NCAA Raleigh Regional stories

My roundup of NCAA regional games played in Raleigh Mach 17 and 19 in the East and Midwest.March 20Virginia can look ahead without facing Michigan State as roadblockMarch 19Wisconsin can continue winning on gritMarch 19Kris Dunn turned down NBA for degree and legacyMarch 18Roy...

Virginia looks ahead without Michigan State to face in Chicago

Virginia looks ahead without Michigan State to face in Chicago

RALEIGH, N.C. — Virginia can breathe a sigh of relief this week. The Midwest Region’s No. 1 seed can travel to Chicago, the heart of Big Ten country, without worrying about their NCAA nemesis the last two years, Michigan State.As all March Madness fans have been aware since...

Cat Barber deserves ACC Player of the Year

Cat Barber deserves ACC Player of the Year

Now it’s Virginia’s turn. Can anybody slow down Anthony “Cat” Barber?Not many guys in the ACC are coming off a better week than the North Carolina State junior — on and off the court. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U story

Time for Duke to return to rankings

Time for Duke to return to rankings

Surely Duke rejoins the Top 25 this week.Last week’s upset of No. 13 Louisville wasn’t enough for the Blue Devils to climb out of the ranks of “others” for a third straight week in the Associated Press poll released Feb. 8 after 167 straight weeks in the Top 25. But there is no...

Virginia ranked fifth in Today U countdown

Virginia ranked fifth in Today U countdown

Shortly after Michigan State upset Virginia in last year’s NCAA Tournament, Cavaliers coach Tony Bennett was asked to compare the 2015 Spartans to coach Tom Izzo’s 2014 Spartans.Unfortunately for Bennett, he was well-versed in Michigan State basketball. Two years in a row...