Michigan State

RSS for Michigan State
Fair to compare Edwards to Magic in one way

Fair to compare Edwards to Magic in one way

By Tom Shanahan LAHAINA, Hawaii – Comparing any basketball player to Magic Johnson is never fair. Who can match a 6-foot-9 point guard that redefined the position leading Michigan State to an NCAA title and the Los Angeles Lakers to five NBA crowns? But in another form of...

Izzo says Aaron Henry healthy for Maui test

Izzo says Aaron Henry healthy for Maui test

By TOM SHANAHANLAHAINA, Hawaii – As the eight coaches participating in the Maui Jim Maui Invitational took their seats upon an outdoor dais with a Pacific Ocean backdrop at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, tournament director Dave Odom asked them to don their Jim Maui...

First season in 51 years without Gus and Jud

First season in 51 years without Gus and Jud

Part III of my interview with Maui Jim Maui Invitational tournament director Dave Odom, whose eight-team field Nov. 25-27 includes Michigan State. I asked the college basketball elder statesman about Spartans' unique program connection between three coaches spanning 51 years, Gus...

Duke not accepting excuses for bowl eligibility

Duke not accepting excuses for bowl eligibility

DURHAM – A Duke football constant under coach David Cutcliffe has been his willingness to reveal what he tells his players. Many paranoid coaches, citing confidentiality, won’t share their words with media -- and thus not their fans. Well, this week there is plenty to wonder...

Tom Izzo and the stable ground in East Lansing

Tom Izzo and the stable ground in East Lansing

Part II of my interview with Maui Jim Maui Invitational tournament director Dave Odom, whose eight-team field Nov. 25-27 includes Michigan State. I asked the college basketball elder statesman about Spartans coach Tom Izzo, his longevity, his place in the college basketball’s...

How Spartans and Hokies made the Maui field

How Spartans and Hokies made the Maui field

Part I of my interview with Maui Jim Maui tournament director Dave Odom. I asked him how Michigan State fit into building this year's Maui field, Georgia's super-star addition and the Odom family's place in history related to Chaminade University, the Maui host. He also told me...

Revolving door atop of rankings starts season

Revolving door atop of rankings starts season

DURHAM – Get ready for revolving door of college basketball teams occupying the No. 1 chair in national rankings. Unless, that is, Duke’s pressure defense has something to say about the upcoming weeks. The No. 2-ranked Blue Devils are poised to become the third No. 1 team in...

Thanks to The Undefeated for telling story

Thanks to The Undefeated for telling story

Thanks to David Squires for his story in The Undefeated on Duffy Daugherty and his Underground Railroad teams and crediting "Raye of Light."I've found most older media accept Bear Bryant folklore over the reality that he dragged his feet on integration. The Bryant folklore and...

Duke football and UNC play elimination game

Duke football and UNC play elimination game

By Tom Shanahan Special to the TimesDURHAM — Duke football expected to contend for the ACC Coastal Division title, especially after opening conference play with an encouraging 45-10 win over Virginia Tech. But then came last week’s crushing 48-14 loss toVirginia.In between those...

Coach K and Blue Devils eager to visit Breslin

Coach K and Blue Devils eager to visit Breslin

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Mike Krzyzewski sat with a dutiful expression as reporters and cameramen encircled his table at the ACC basketball media day on Tuesday in a Marriott City Center ballroom. Duke's coach with five NCAA titles was peppered with subjects. Among them: the recently...