College Basketball

RSS for College Basketball
Final Four tells story of superior Big Ten depth

Final Four tells story of superior Big Ten depth

I’ve long held the opinion that ACC basketball with its romantic Tobacco Road label receives too much credit and Big Ten basketball is unfairly treated as a whipping boy.The national reaction when Duke or North Carolina is upset in an early round game is, “That’s March Madness!”...

Wooden stills ranks ahead of Krzyzewski

Wooden stills ranks ahead of Krzyzewski

Villanova and North Carolina met this past Monday in the type of national championship game that endorses the case for John Wooden as college basketball’s greatest coach. By that, I don’t mean Villanova’s dramatic win on a last-second shot.Most years Wooden’s UCLA teams...

Villanova and North Carolina set up championship drama

Villanova and North Carolina set up championship drama

A look back at the Associated Press Top 25 rankings confirm for us that two of the best teams are meeting for college basketball’s national title on Monday night in Houston. It’s more satisfying, though, if we see two of the best teams that also are the hottest teams.That’s...

Duke AD stood by Krzyzewski before he was Coach K

Duke AD stood by Krzyzewski before he was Coach K

The flags should be flying at half-mast over Krzyzewskiville for Tom Butters throughout the Final Four weekend.Without the former Duke athletic director, there would be no Krzyzewskiville, the basketball village where Duke students camp out in tents in the shadow of Cameron...

Top five NCAA Tournament players

Top five NCAA Tournament players

North Carolina’s Brice Johnson and Oklahoma’s Buddy Hield headline my list of the top five basketball players in the 2016 NCAA Tournament.The prime reason is they are the only two consensus All-American picks still playing in the Final Four. To name the top five NCAA Tournament...

Roy Williams wise man among Final Four coaches

Roy Williams wise man among Final Four coaches

Mark Twain observed in a timeless quote, “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”College basketball coaching doesn’t quite...

Time for Gottlieb to apologize to old Roy

Time for Gottlieb to apologize to old Roy

It’s time for Doug Gottlieb to apologize to Roy Williams.A month ago, the CBS basketball analyst said on air Williams might retire at the end of the season. His inference was the game has passed by Williams due to the team’s up-and-down play. ... Click here for the rest of...

Virginia on a roll to justify top seed

Virginia on a roll to justify top seed

Ah, so that’s why Virginia earned a No. 1 seed.That’s what most us should be thinking after the Cavaliers advanced to the Elite Eight with a convincing 84-71 win over fourth-seeded Iowa State on Friday night in the Midwest Regional game at the United Center in Chicago....

Five candidates for Pitt basketball

Five candidates for Pitt basketball

Something is rotten with the state of Pitt basketball.What does it say about the school when head coach Jamie Dixon abruptly leaves the program he built after 13 years to take a step down at TCU? I understand TCU is his alma mater, but it’s still TCU. Bill Self didn’t leave...

My roundup of NCAA Raleigh Regional stories

My roundup of NCAA Raleigh Regional stories

My roundup of NCAA regional games played in Raleigh Mach 17 and 19 in the East and Midwest.March 20Virginia can look ahead without facing Michigan State as roadblockMarch 19Wisconsin can continue winning on gritMarch 19Kris Dunn turned down NBA for degree and legacyMarch 18Roy...