College Basketball

RSS for College Basketball
Allen needs to lead without Coach K in summer

Allen needs to lead without Coach K in summer

One way Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski adapted to college basketball’s one-and-done culture was to bring incoming freshmen to his Durham campus over the summer to bond with returning players.That was especially important in 2014, when Coach K guided USA Basketball to the FIBA World...

Remember Seoul as USA Basketball Alamo

Remember Seoul as USA Basketball Alamo

USA Basketball’s recent dominance of the Olympics and World Championships has raised the question of whether the U.S. should leave NBA players behind and return to sending college players.Anyone who thinks the U.S. can still win with college athletes has overlooked the 2016 NBA...

Hatchell remembers dear friend Summitt

Hatchell remembers dear friend Summitt

The day after pioneer women’s college basketball coach Pat Summitt died, North Carolina coach Sylvia Hatchell sat in the Chapel Hill office she admits she owes to Summitt’s influence and domineering personality.Summett, who died Tuesday at age 64 after a five-year battle with...

Conference USA basketball victim of greed

Conference USA basketball victim of greed

A few years ago, ESPN’s 30 for 30 series aired a documentary on the rise and fall of Big East Conference basketball: “Requiem for the Big East.” A similar account could chronicle Conference USA basketball.C-USA may not draw ratings, but the story line reads about the same. The...

NBA should have celebrated Dunn and Valentine

NBA should have celebrated Dunn and Valentine

If I was NBA commissioner for day – more specifically on NBA draft day – once Kris Dunn was selected as the fifth pick overall of Thursday’s extravaganza-styled Oscars show I would have added to the script.Soon after the Providence guard’s walk onto stage to shake the...

Brey enjoying best coaching run at Notre Dae

Brey enjoying best coaching run at Notre Dae

It’s difficult gaining attention for impressive back-to-back Elite Eight NCAA Tournament runs and an ACC Tournament title the last two years when your basketball program resides outside of Durham or Chapel Hill.But that’s what Notre Dame coach Mike Brey’s teams have managed the...

Pitino finds ways to survive in coaching

Pitino finds ways to survive in coaching

“I will not resign and let you down. Someday I will walk away in celebration of many memorable years but that time is not now. I do not fight these accusations by others but rather turn the other cheek. Couldn’t do it at 33, but at 63 it’s the wise thing to do. Let’s let the...

North Carolina athletes fail to live up to past

North Carolina athletes fail to live up to past

Back in November, I wrote about the 1961 UCLA football team’s threat to boycott the Rose Bowl on New Year’s Day of 1962. I compared the highly principled-but-little-known moment in sports history to Missouri’s threatened boycott last season.In both cases, a unified front from the...

Calipari fighting tried and true method at Duke and Stanford

Calipari fighting tried and true method at Duke and Stanford

Kentucky fans nod their heads, agreeing with their basketball coach over controversial words that appear aimed at Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.Duke fans are upset at the thinly veiled shot. Coach K and his staff are above the fray — for now, anyway — but no doubt had some mocking if...

Coach K and Wooden succeeded where the Baron failed

Coach K and Wooden succeeded where the Baron failed

The college basketball coaches with the most NCAA titles are UCLA’s John Wooden with 10, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski’s at five and counting and Kentucky’s Adolph Rupp with four.Despite what the numbers tell us, though, Coach K is much closer to the Wizard of Westwood’s seemingly...