College Basketball

RSS for College Basketball
Pete Newell brought out best in Bob Knight

Pete Newell brought out best in Bob Knight

We saw the best of Bob Knight Tuesday night in San Diego. We saw why his players and those who know him are so loyal to him despite his many controversies.You won't see a more or quick-witted and sarcastic man than Knight, if you’re fortunate to be in his presence other than a...

Looking back at Coach K and an early lesson

Looking back at Coach K and an early lesson

NOTE: I updated my 2015 story upon having a chance to coach Mike Krzyzewski about his time with Bobby Knight during Indiana’s.1974-75 season as a graduate assistant.By TOM SHANAHANThe first time Mike Krzyzewski crossed into my basketball circle was decades ago, although I was...

The Big O and Jumpin Johnny wrote history to recognize

The Big O and Jumpin Johnny wrote history to recognize

Oscar Robertson, Johnny Green and North Carolina State’s 1958 Dixie Classic ran through my mind as I watched the four-day high school basketball celebration that was the 43rd annual Holiday Invitational last week at Raleigh's storied Holliday Gym on Broughton High's campus.I...

No 1 South Carolina uses home crowd at Duke

No 1 South Carolina uses home crowd at Duke

No. 1-ranked South Carolina foiled Duke's upset bid before 6,004 fans at Cameron Indoor Stadium.www.newsobserver.com/...

Calipari evil Al Davis of the NCAA

Calipari evil Al Davis of the NCAA

Connecticut guard Shabazz Napier put on a senior refuse-to-lose run — one I believe Michigan State senior Keith Appling would have recorded without his wrist injury — to beat Kentucky Monday night for the NCAA title.You have to celebrate for Napier and ache for Appling, who was...

Lacey and Magic tale of knight in Spartan Armor

Lacey and Magic tale of knight in Spartan Armor

Maybe you’ve seen the recent TV ads with Magic Johnson as he encourages uninformed Americans to sign up by the March 31 deadline for the Health Insurance Marketplace. But would you believe there is a Michigan State basketball figure that could top Magic as a more profound...

Michigan State playing before Jud in NCAA

Michigan State playing before Jud in NCAA

Michigan State is playing in Jud Heathcote’s backyard for the Spartans’ opening game of the NCAA tournament for the second time in five years, but he’s more worried about the blame than credit.When the unveiled NCAA bracket revealed the Spartans were scheduled to play Delaware...

Dick Vitale and the dumbing down of America

Dick Vitale and the dumbing down of America

Mercifully, another year enduring Dick Vitale broadcasts has wrapped up. Why is he so popular? He reminds me the dumbing down of America is a cultural trend that similarly foisted the Kardashians upon us.Yes, he draws ratings, but does he say anything besides the obvious and then...

February upsets in words of Sparty legend Jud Heathcote

February upsets in words of Sparty legend Jud Heathcote

The ten Top 25 teams that suffered upsets last week came as no surprise to College Basketball Hall of Fame coach Jud Heathcote. It’s February, after all.The retired Michigan State coach said he understood how his beloved Spartans were among the victims when they lost on Sunday to...

Walton captures American basketball voice

Walton captures American basketball voice

Significant milestones mark the growth of college basketball with prominent announcers riding shotgun. What began as a regional sport broadcast on radio from smoky arenas has evolved to a national stage that allows us to watch games on cable TV from pristine campus arenas. Marty...