NFL

RSS for NFL
Coaching cat John Fox lands on feet again

Coaching cat John Fox lands on feet again

Once again, John Fox’s time in the unemployment line didn't last long. Click here for my 2002 Fox story: Fox as Carolina's new head coach in 2002Shortly after his nine-year run as the Carolina Panthers’ head coach – including one Super Bowl – came to an end with the 2010...

A look back to 2002 at Fox as new Carolina head coach

A look back to 2002 at Fox as new Carolina head coach

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers' practice field and the coaches' offices in Ericsson Stadium are connected by a sidewalk that winds through a park-like setting.New Panthers coach John Fox is making the walk after a summer school practice in June. He stops for fans...

KOC at attention for Army broadcast debut on CBS

KOC at attention for Army broadcast debut on CBS

Kevin O’Connell spent a sunny San Diego Labor Day indoors studying video for his debut as the CBS television analyst for Army football when the Black Knights meet Buffalo at noon Saturday at Michie Stadium. O’Connell is only two years removed from the NFL and one season from his...

Stanford two sport man pursues NFL draft

Stanford two sport man pursues NFL draft

Beano Cook, the late football historian, publicist extraordinaire and TV/radio personality, would have loved Tyler Gaffney. The former Stanford running back would have captured his football-shaped heart for continuing to pursue his gridiron potential while he put his baseball...

Peyton Mannings legacy secure with one Super Bowl

Peyton Mannings legacy secure with one Super Bowl

If I hear one more talking head question the legacy of Denver quarterback Peyton Manning based on the outcome of Super Bowl XLVIII (granted, Manning’s Broncos lost to Seattle 43-8), I might slip into a coma.If such reasoning becomes accepted, I might emerge from that coma...

Defending Marshawn Lynch

Defending Marshawn Lynch

Here’s my defense of Marshawn Lynch:The Seattle Seahawks running back has been called everything from Greta Garbo for his three-word answers during the season and a thug for his failure to appear at Tuesday’s NFL media day with his thoughts buried between headphones.Thug, now...

Gates finally positioned in his best sport

Gates finally positioned in his best sport

This is my July 21, 2004 story on Antonio Gates I wrote while working for Chargers.com.By Tom ShanahanAll those years Antonio Gates spent in basketball positioning himself for rebounds against taller players - they stretched his height at Kent State, listing him at 6-foot-5 -...

Super Bowl reminds Big Ten and NC State of stubborn Tom O'Brien

Super Bowl reminds Big Ten and NC State of stubborn Tom O'Brien

On the list of hard-ass, obdurate coaches who infamously won’t budge from their position at their own expense, Tom O’Brien just climbed a few more notches toward the top. He might have even passed Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler.The jump was a result of Seattle Seahawks...

McNary provides NFL and Army advertising they cant buy

McNary provides NFL and Army advertising they cant buy

A USAA commercial aired during the 2013 football season that featured three service academy alums — Army’s Collin Mooney, Navy’s Eric Kettani and Air Force’s Chad Hall — that have served their country as military veterans and now NFL players.They “took the road less traveled,” as...

Pro Football Hall of Fame voters freeze out Coryell

Pro Football Hall of Fame voters freeze out Coryell

The Football gods and Old Man Winter owe Don Coryell a reprieve. Let us be reminded of this as the calendar winds down to a destiny with Super Bowl XLVII slated for a northeastern stadium in the dead of winter. The Football gods and Old Man Winter are obliged to deliver a...