Duke

RSS for Duke
Wooden stills ranks ahead of Krzyzewski

Wooden stills ranks ahead of Krzyzewski

Villanova and North Carolina met this past Monday in the type of national championship game that endorses the case for John Wooden as college basketball’s greatest coach. By that, I don’t mean Villanova’s dramatic win on a last-second shot.Most years Wooden’s UCLA teams...

Duke needs to improve tight end production

Duke needs to improve tight end production

One offensive dimension the Duke football team must improve upon in the 2016 season is tight end production, but that would seem to be a tough task on the surface.Braxton Deaver and David Reeves, the team’s top two tight ends last season, aren’t part of the Blue Devils’ 2016...

Duke AD stood by Krzyzewski before he was Coach K

Duke AD stood by Krzyzewski before he was Coach K

The flags should be flying at half-mast over Krzyzewskiville for Tom Butters throughout the Final Four weekend.Without the former Duke athletic director, there would be no Krzyzewskiville, the basketball village where Duke students camp out in tents in the shadow of Cameron...

My roundup of NCAA Raleigh Regional stories

My roundup of NCAA Raleigh Regional stories

My roundup of NCAA regional games played in Raleigh Mach 17 and 19 in the East and Midwest.March 20Virginia can look ahead without facing Michigan State as roadblockMarch 19Wisconsin can continue winning on gritMarch 19Kris Dunn turned down NBA for degree and legacyMarch 18Roy...

Tobacco Road trio gets chance to face Duke

Tobacco Road trio gets chance to face Duke

Three lightly recruited basketball players who found a home at UNC-Wilmington have realized every college player’s dream with a chance at March Madness in the NCAA Tournament.Could it get any better than that for the Seahawks’ Chris Flemmings, Denzel Ingram and Marcus Bryan?...

Expanson has exposed old ACC as overrated

Expanson has exposed old ACC as overrated

This may surprise you, but for the first time since 2008, North Carolina cut down the nets to claim an ACC Tournament title. The Tar Heels beat Virginia, 61-57, Saturday night in Washington, D.C. ... Click here for the rest of my Today's U story

Duke starts spring drills later than usual

Duke starts spring drills later than usual

Duke football faces more changes than planned with the opening of spring football. That was one reason Duke coach David Cutcliffe waited until Saturday to open spring drills with a morning workout inside Pascal Field House.The March 5 start was about a month later than recent...

Feinstein book provides unique look at ACC hoop legends

Feinstein book provides unique look at ACC hoop legends

RALEIGH — John Feinstein fielded questions to kick off his “The Legends Club” book tour on college basketball coaches Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Valvano. One was to name his favorite sport.He listed, in order, college basketball, golf and baseball. One has to...

Duke is last chance for statement from Pitt

Duke is last chance for statement from Pitt

Former Top 25 team Pitt stages Senior Day against Duke on Sunday afternoon at the Petersen Events Center. Ah, perfect timing for the Panthers to start a run and to regain their brief Top 25 form from earlier this year.Or at least to firm up their NCAA Tournament berth hopes...

Duke backup QB thrust into larger role

Duke backup QB thrust into larger role

There were at one time a number of positions to sift through when deciding who needs to step up for Duke’s football team in 2016. But that was before quarterback Thomas Sirk suffered a torn achilles tendon in a workout this month.That suddenly put the focus clearly on the...